The Division of oesophago-gastric surgery is a first of its kind in the country focussed on minimally invasive endoscopic and laparoscopic methods to treat pathologies of the oesophagus and stomach.This form of organ based specialization is similar too what followed in many european countries and Japan akin to the western practice is one of the very few in the country and GEM runs at the forefront in this pathway. Focussed speciality based approach aims to improve the short and long term outcomes after surgery and also to reduce complication rates.
- Laparoscopic Fundoplication for gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Laparoscopic hellers cardiomyotomy for Achalasia cardia
- Laparoscopic gastrectomy for cancer stomach
- Laparoscopic oesophagectomy for cancer oesophagus
- Laparoscopic vagotomy with gastrojejunostomy with a special patented instrument was designed at Gem hospital,Coimbatore for the treatment of achalasia cardia which is used world over.
- Laparoscopic prone approach for oesophageal cancer has been recognised popularly as the “Palanivelu’s technique “ which is now the technique of choice in some of the best centres